Jeffco Banner Jeffco Banner Jeffco Banner Jeffco Banner Jeffco Banner
Home News Record Museums Settings Programs/Events Directors Collections Join! Bookstore Blog

Museums

Hiwan Homestead Museum

The Hiwan Homestead Museum is operated by Jefferson County Open Space in partnership with Jefferson County Historical Society. Hiwan's restored 1890 - 1930 era rooms illustrate a comfortable style of early mountain summer home living. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its unique architecture.

Hiwan Homestead was a cherished[Hiwan Homestead] mountain retreat for the families who lived within its rough-hewn walls. In the 1890's, Mary Neosho Williams, a Civil War widow, and her daughter Josepha were among the aristocratic society of Denver who camped at Evergreen. They acquired a simple log structure and hired John "Jock" Spence, a Scottish carpenter, to convert it into a summer cottage. The property was named Camp Neosho after Mrs. Williams' middle name. Overnight guests would stay in tents, comfortably equipped with wood floors, stoves and double canvas walls.

In 1889, Josepha graduated from Gross Medical School in Denver and became one of Colorado's first women doctors. Seven years later, Josepha married Canon Charles Winfred Douglas, an Episcopal clergyman who achieved world acclaim for his musical work.

Josepha Douglas died in 1938 and the house was sold to Tulsa oilman, Darst Buchanan. His wife re-named the land Hiwan Ranch. Buchanan's Hiwan Hereford cattle were known throughout the country and won many stock show prizes.

Six generations of notable families lived in this rustic mountain lodge before it was developed as a museum by Jefferson County Open Space in 1974.

Admission is free
For large group tours contact
the museum at 720-497-7650

Museum Hours:
Open Tuesday - Sunday
September-May Noon - 5:00 pm
June-August 11:00 am - 5:00 pm

Hiwan Homestead Museum Staff
Telephone number: 720-497-7650

John Steinle - Administrator

Meghan McGinnes - Museum Program Coordinator

Andy Spencer - Education Coordinator

Susan Grannell - Administrative Specialist

Justin Potter - Custodian/Maintenance

Back to the top

Medlen School

[Medlen School]

Medlen School is a circa 1890 school house restored to the 1920's era on its original location on South Turkey Creek Road. The school was restored in 1999 through a grant from the State Historical Fund and JCHS. Historical "Medlen Schools Days" programs are offered during the summer months; public tours by appointment. For more information, contact 303-670-0784.

Back to the top